Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Deserve: to merit, be qualified for, or have a claim to because of actions, qualities, or situation.

As I wound down for bed last night, I sad on my almost white bed cover and read in Matthew chapter 5.  This is the section in the Bible where we read the beatitudes.  I sat reading the words:

"Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to Him, 2and He began to teach them, saying:
3Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

The words sunk into me in a way they never have previously.  I realized how much more the concepts of each of them carry than the surface words they display.  As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints, I've read the beatitudes countless times.  Last night, as I read, it was one of those times where I didn't really have to read the verses to know what was coming next, but rather I could look at the beginning of each verse and finish it in my head.  To tell you the truth, I was reluctant to read in the first place.  A friend requested I did to see what new findings I came to, and my attitude was "well, okay.  I'll do it, I guess."  I didn't have much enthusiasm, but I decided to read anyway. 

Despite my weariness of reading the assigned verses, I did what I said I'd do.  Sometimes that's all we can do, isn't it?  Just do what we're told, and hope for some sort of outcome.  Well, as I did what I was told I found an outcome I wanted to share with all of you. 

All the verses above have to do with people accepting challenges, or performing tasks they dont deserve.  I feel so often when caught in the middle of some hard time or a loved-one's struggles that people ask or even silently wonder, "What did I do to deserve this?" or "my friend doesn't deserve this! Why is this happening??" Sometimes it's hard because hardship after hardship continues, and it feels like we can't catch a brake.  And when we all live our life trying to be the best version of ourselves that we can, no one "deserves" the pain that life has to offer.  

But these verses offer hope to those going through difficulty.  To me they can be summed up in a single principle beatitude: 
"Blessed are they who willingly endure hardships they don't 'deserve,' for they are as I am." 

For those who believe in Christ and know of his Earthly ministry, it is easy to see his constant sacrifices were not what he "deserved" to sacrifice for us.  He did so much for all on the Earth, yet they spit in his face.  They pressed thorns into his head.  They laughed and mocked.  they drove nails through his hands and his feet.  He did not deserve any of the horrific treatment he received.  Yet he knew he was called of his father to perform an infinite atonement, no matter how other people treated him. So he knew what he had to do, and he did it. 

4 comments:

miss said...

Love you. These are wise words.

Becca said...

Beautiful. Miss you.

tyler said...

Elder Maxwell used to say that, as much as we would like it to be otherwise, there are some things that we cannot go over, under, or around--we simply have to pass through them.

Some of those hard things have to be gone through so that we can come to know the Savior better, have deeper empathy for others, and learn beautiful--but hard--lessons like these.

Much love.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these inspiring thoughts.

I love D&C 58:4 "For after much tribulation come the blessings."

And, I love you.

Dad