Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Heroic in Their Meekness

So, I'm sure everyone who's ever been in an English class knows what I'm talking about when I say "the classic hero essay." It seems like every year since seventh grade I've written an essay about who I look at as my hero. When Ms. Peterson assigned this to my class this year I decided to try to think about it in a way I'd never thought of before. As I sat in my seat contemplating our bland prompt, I realized something. I finally knew who I REALLY felt is a hero in my life. Sure, every time before I'd written about fire fighters or teachers or whatever, but this time I really do believe these people to be true and everlasting heroes.

Have you ever walked down the hall and seen some football player picking on the scrawny chemistry nerd? Or walked into the lunch room and seen a bunch of jockey boys harassing some kid because they know they can get a reaction out of them? Have you ever noticed how much people who don't deserve in the slightest to be pushed around get pushed around...ALL the time?? These individuals are my true heroes. Maybe they're just scared to stand up for themselves. Maybe they're just trying to let others have the glory. Maybe they honestly don't know HOW to stand up for themselves. Whatever the case may be, they are heroic in their meekness and courageous with discretion.

Sometimes I wish it were dorky to play sports. Sometimes I wish it were cool to have learning disabilities. Sometimes I long for the "cool kids" to get a minuscule taste of what the "dorks" go through every day. I had a friend of mine come play dodgeball with another group of friends I hang out with and I. She came and then began crying when we got home because she was picked last every round. Now, I'm not saying she's a "cool kid," in fact, she's one of the kindness people I know, this example just came to mind to prove my point. She began to cry and was so hurt by the fact that she'd been chosen last for a stupid game multiple times in one night. Try living this sad reality your entire life. Chosen last in games. Chosen last in group projects. Chosen last in friendship. Chosen last in life.

Thank you, "dorks," for letting those who don't deserve it have the glory. Thank you for letting others control what you do and giving them the satisfaction they need to survive high school. Thank you for having enough belief in yourself that don't need to make others feel bad in order to make yourself look cool. And to all those "cool kids" out there, think before you speak. If anyone treated you the way you treat the "dorks" you just might find yourself crying because you weren't picked first. Grow up. Remember you don't always know the whole story, and try to be nice to everyone. It sounds corny, but it's not corny to the "dork" who gets a new friend out of your consistant effort. :)

Peace out chubs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Nat:

I like people who look beyond life's facades and into the heart.

And, I love those who stand up for others. Jesus did ("let he who is without sin...").

"God, Bless the Outcasts."

Love, Dad

Missy Johnson said...

Nat -
You are cool.
And way more mature than I was at my age.
Love,
Meesh

Anonymous said...

Nat--

Like dad said "God bless the outcasts."

It's so sad that so many people try to make themselves feel better by putting other people down--like Rex Skidmore used to say "build, don't bruise."

And, with you, I look up to those who stand up for those who aren't part of the "in" crowd.

Anthony said...

The last time I wrote a hero essay before I graduated, I wrote it on Batman rather than my usual "Oh it's my dad!" "oh it's teachers!" "oh it's firemanz!" heroes I would write about EVERY SINGLE YEAR in that horrible school system... it was a DANG good essay, I'll have you know.